Building the Spanish Town for Sharp Practice Part 3

I decided last weekend to build three more of the 3 house terrace buildings. I like these as they create nice street blocks, plus decent defensive positions. And they are dead easy to build.

First off I cut the walls with the hot wire cutter. The walls are 30cm long, by 9cm deep, by 10cm high. These fit well with Charlie Foxtrot buildings. As you can see, each building has 2 long, and 2 short. I checked the hot wire cutter was cutting sharp to 90degrees, so I could trust that the cut lines were straight and true. The foam is actually 2cm think – yet I wanted the final walls to be 1cm – so I had to split cut each wall.

Sticking them together with PVA and long headed pins, I also put some support braces in each building (7cm long). As you can see I am not building for internal use – you are either in the building or outside, and that’s it in the rules.

I am using long headed dress making pins to hold the pieces together whilst the glue dries. This takes at least 24 hours – but leave for 48 hours if you can. At this stage don’t worry about the edge/gap between each piece. Put the pins in at an angle – it holds the two pieces together better against the natural pressure the pieces have to come apart.

Once dry I put the corner quoins on each corner – these are in reality stonework placed at corners on buildings to protect the building against damage. In the model it does the same thing. I am using a L section plasti-card to do this – before I have used individual cut bits to represent the stonework. Looking at the result, I think I will go back to doing that at the final look is a little more natural looking.

Next is the roof, built separately for reasons of ease and storage. As shown in the picture I made a template of the roof shape, and cut 4 pieces for each building. I then made 2 roof sides, 30cm by 5.5cm wide, for each building. This then constructs a basic roof shape.

Again, use pins to hold the thing together whilst the glue dries. The roof truss template sits on the wall leaving a small gap between the wall and the roof structure. This is intentional so that a wooden edge can be applied.

I then put a ridge line along the top made from a round wooden rod you can buy at any DIY or model store.

When everything is dry, the best bit comes. Cutting the doors and windows. I use the Warbase window frames and doors as templates to cut round. Dividing the terrace building into three, as you can see, I put in one door and various window openings to taste. I don’t want back doors intentionally in these models as I want the long back wall to be just that, a wall in the town creating an obstacle.

Next up the stonework with cut squares of Plasti-card. I irregularly cut small squares and then stick them on with PVA to create a slightly rustic effect – these are not high quality posh houses!

Next stage, once the glue is dry, skim with a quick drying plaster, the sort used to fill cracks in your house wall. I ensure all edges are filled, the join between the pieces of foam covered up, and then add to provide some texture to the walls as shown.

Next up, undercoat. Slap it on. Let it dry. This is my Wilko’s special – milk chocolate.

Then I like to wet brush a off white colour (whatever tester pot is going cheap), leaving the stonework around doors and windows etc to show the undercoat. I dry brush over these to help them merge in a bit, as shown. I paint inside the window and door surrounds as well.

Next up the roof. I appear to have lost a photo showing the initial stage. However, below shows how it is built. Divide up the roof to ape the building divisions with some thin foam rows. Then use the tile sheets Warbases or Charlie Foxtrot sell and build up the tiles. Splash about PVA. Around the bottom and end of the roof I use coffee stirrers to create the edge. Gaps will be filled when dry with a plaster skim.

I placed the Warbases doors and windows in the openings, PVA glued in. I will then paint (not sure why I paint them in-situ, rather than before I place them). I have placed a 28mm figure to give an idea of size. So I o all three and now I am waiting for them to dry to paint the roof, and a final touch up.

There you go – three more terraces to add to the two I already have.

2 thoughts on “Building the Spanish Town for Sharp Practice Part 3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.